In the Andes

There is only 3 days left of year one of Mission Academy! The last three weeks have been full of travels, meetings, getting to see ministries in other parts of s. America, and also a little sightseeing.                                                               It’s truly been a blessing.


I was able to spend two weeks in Cusco Peru with two KM missionaries Alexandra and Jair. They met when they both worked at Diospi Suyana in Curahuasi Peru and have now been married for just under a year. They are working now in Cusco among a church plant. I was able to spend some time talking with Alexandra has big visions for the community. Her desire is to have a bible study/ discipleship group among the college age/ young adult women in her area. One thing that she kept telling me, is that in this area people don’t blend well. Most of the time they stay with their own friends or to themselves and they don’t put themselves out there very much. Alex’s hope is that through starting this bible study/ discipleship group that these young women can become connected with each other and become more active within their communities.

Also during my time in Peru I was able to visit Diospi Suyana in Curahuasi and see where missions has started for so many people before. Diospi Suyana was the vision and dream of German born Klaus Dieter John and his wife. The hospital offers the highest standard healthcare for the poorest of the poor, the indigenous Quechua people of Southern Peru.

I was able to take a tour of this hospital and see how advanced this place is. The level of cleanliness and the technologies they have in this small village community is truly a testament of God’s grace and provision. Most of the workers are volunteers who have committed to three years of using their God-given gifts and abilities to serve the Lord and the impoverished people in this area. The name Diospi Suyana means “We trust in God” and that is what this hospital is built and run on. Today Diospi Suyana has a dental center, a school to give excellent education to the Quechan children, and just recently they have started a radio and television program to continue the spread of the Gospel and to inform the people about safety and health issues.

I was so blessed during my time in Curahuasi. I was able to meet wonderful people who showed me such love and hospitality. One of whom even cooked me a delicious Cuy dinner (which yes is Guinea pig) the time with this sister was very special and it was really such an honor to get to share this meal with her and her daughter.

I think that Curahuasi is a very special place that God is clearly doing some big works in. In fact the first friends I met in Asuncion Paraguay, Michael and Nohemi, are living examples of the way God can completely transform lives in this place. This year at the 10th anniversary of the hospital Klaus ended his speech with “Only God can create something out of nothing. All glory is due to the Lord.”  I’m excited to continue to follow this ministry and to see what else God has in store for the Quechua people of Southern Peru.

 As mentioned above I was also able to do some sightseeing while in Peru. I was able to visit the sacred valley and many other Inca ruins during my two weeks in the Country. Machu Picchu, however, was truly the icing on the cake. It is absolutely breathtaking I spent about 7 hours exploring this site and just basking in the beauty of the mountains and creation.




I arrived in Ecuador Wednesday a dream of mine ever since I was a young girl. Ecuadorian people have to be some of the friendliest most open people I have ever met. The woman I am staying with has went way out of her way to explain the transportation, help make plans, and give wonderful advice for the places I should visit.
Friday I was able to meet with one of the newest KM members and hear about their ministry here in Ecuador. Andres Staubli, his wife Jimena and team work together in their community to help engage the youth and to help people see that they have a part to play in kingdom work. Right now in Ecuador the church is only about 10% active, Proposito Global’s vision is to see that 100% of the church becomes active and sees that they have a part to play in the spread of the gospel and in caring for their community.

Proposito Global has some pretty cool projects going on right now, all of which is to help people use their gifts for the gospel. Arte Sana estudio is a new project that is an art academy that offers the local community an environment where they can thrive artistically and ultimately be introduced to Christ. They have volunteers with special trades and talents that come and offer courses to the people of this community drawing, photography, painting, music, the list goes one.  They also have programs focused on training on God’s missions and in sending out short term teams encouraging the youth that they too are part of the great commission and need to reach their communities, country, and world for Christ. 

I really enjoyed the whole dynamic of this team and the mission they stood for. Many of the things they said is the reason I am working with Kontakt mission, it’s about following God and where he leads. They don’t ask you to fit into their mold of what you should look like as a missionary, instead they encourage you to follow your passion and vision and then as a team they stand behind you and walk through that with you. I am very grateful for my short time with this team and am very interested in seeing how God continues to use this ministry.

As with my time in Peru I also had some free time in Ecuador that opened up opportunities to explore a bit of this country. Yesterday I spent the day just a few miles out of Quito at the middle of the world! It was so cool. I visited both locations since there is debate as to where the exact location is (it was funny seeing the little signs that kind of argue their sides to the claim) I also was able to take a ride to a pre Inca site that had a beautiful view of the active volcano that looms over the small town. Tomorrow I am hoping to travel to Shell where I will be able to visit the house of Nate Saint, one of the men that worked and died with Jim Elliot. Their story of love and sacrifice is one that inspired me as a child to be open to missions and to being completely sold out for Christ.




Then finally Wednesday night around 9pm I will make my way to the airport for my 12:30 am flight back to the states! This year has been intense… to say the least. There have been so many obstacles and struggles along the way but God has truly taught me so much through these. I am beyond excited for my two month "rest" in the states before I head out for year 2 of this project… there is still much work to be done and I am thankfully for the small part I have been allowed to play for His Kingdom.

Please pray:
For Alexandra and Jair as they continue to start their ministries in Cusco.
For Miriam and Tim (my host family in Curahausi) they have two more years commitment at the hospital and there is a lot of work at the hospital. Pray for their strength as they serve and for their family.
For Lily a school teacher in Curahausi who is going on year 6 (I believe) she will be traveling back to Germany in a few months for a furlough. Be praying for this time and for her ministry/ classroom while she is away.
For Proposito Global. For the programs they have going on and that they continue to follow God and the passions He has given them.
For Andres and Jimena. They were truly wonderful to be around. Be praying for their ministry here and that they continue following His lead.
For my upcoming travels. It’s gonna be a long next few days between all of the travels then Thursday it will be about a 15 hour travel day (I have a 7.5 hour layover in Texas) It’s exhausting and I’m already exhausted but knowing that I will be home soon keeps me going.
Thank you all for being with me on this adventure this year. For your prayers and for your support. You truly are vitally for this ministry!


Comments

Popular Posts