June Marsh Land

I am just wrapping up my first week at the Parque SAMM, the Missions school in Southern Paraguay. The temperature has dropped quite a bit as winter approaches, and I am extremely grateful for my boots since it has rained every day for the past 2 weeks so getting from the dorm rooms to the lesson hall or mess hall is like crossing a great marsh land.

My first month in Paraguay I was focusing on learning the language so I stayed in the German Mission in Asuncion. Due to unforeseen language school costs I was only able to meet with a tutor at the mission four times a week for a total of 10 hours. Being completely honest I struggled quite a bit here the first few weeks, I was completely isolated some days only having human interaction when my teacher came for 2 hours and anytime I went out and tried to communicate with people in the city I would get nowhere due to the language gap and also the fact I was only surrounded by shops. So loneliness and isolation really started to eat away at me on top of me feeling like I am the slowest person when it comes to language learning.

Now, However, I am living at the mission school where there are 8 Latin American students as well as 5 staff who are all very friendly and eager to help. I started teaching English this week breaking up the students into 2 different levels and so far it has been going well. The first night we all played an M&M game together, where they have to answer a certain question based on how many of that color M&M they had. It was a lot of fun and helped them loosen up since my class is very conversation heavy and speaking is the most terrifying part of language learning.

Life at the SAMM starts early, we get up at 6 and have breakfast then there is a devotional, chores to be done, then at 9 classes start. This week Walter is here teaching on multicultural teams, I sit in the class as a means to help with language learning (it’s pretty frustrating at times when all I understand are words and I can’t participate in discussion) then at 12 we break for lunch and have 2 hours of free time. Then from 3pm to 7pm it is more class time then at 7:30 I begin my hour and a half English course. The weekends will look a bit different, and there is talk about me joining one of the ladies in a small group she has in the city

I’ll be here at the SAMM for 6 weeks before heading to a 2 week conference in Cuidad de Este. There isn’t any wifi  here and hardly any cell reception, so communication is pretty limited. But I am excited to see what God is going to do with my time here in Bogado and with the people I am sharing life with now.


Please be pray:
-         For my language learning. It’s a huge struggle and I believe part of it is psychological due to my High school Spanish teachers parting words to me 11 years ago and me believing that I am truly bad at language learning.  Also I am I recovering perfectionist and am having a difficult time letting go with not trying to be perfect with this. The upside is I do have plans to meet with a girl at least once a week here to try and help me with my pronunciation.
-         Be praying for my English classes. If you ever truly want to be humbled try learning a second language and have to speak in front of your peers. Pray for them to have courage to speak, to be willing to make mistakes, and for them to really put time into learning and practicing.
-         For the students here who are preparing to go out into the world spreading the Gospel
o   Milka, Liz, Jessica, Jocelyn, Yamelia, Marcos, Grober, and Lucho
-         For the staff members who keep everything running here
o   Miguel and Jenni, Eber and Marta

Thank you all for your prayers and support and for your willingness to go through this journey (though it feels more like a battle) with me. 

Comments

Popular Posts