First Impressions



Right from the start Paraguay has been a surprise. Everything is very green, burnt orange, busy and loud. The first week and a half I was here it was pretty hot and very humid, now however it has cooled down and you can really tell that winter is coming (though I’m fairly sure it’s going to feel more like fall to me) My first week in the city the Missionaries I am working with took me to a few places to get a feel of the city.


Picking lemons... Also the day i was thoroughly attacked by mosquitos

Last week I had the opportunity to meet the Palomino family who are studying here in Asuncion. Michael and Nohemi are from Peru and Michael worked as a cook in the hospital that Inessa (one of my fellow MA’ers) worked at. Their story is pretty amazing, two years ago they came to the Lord and knew that they wanted to be a part of leading youth and street children to Christ. So just a few months ago they packed up their family of four and came to a place where they didn’t know anyone to pursue the training for this calling.  As of now they aren’t sure where God will lead them after their training but they are being faithful and pressing on knowing that he is leading.


One thing that we talked about was the fact that it took Inessa leaving Germany to serve in Peru for four years, to return to Germany to start Mission Academy where she met me, who was going to Paraguay and just happened to be in the same city for one month where her friends from Peru just moved and we were able to meet and talk around a plate of cookies and mosquitos.

God is good.

 I love how in all of these travels he has lead me on, I get to see how connected his kingdom is. There is no barrier that he cannot cross. In fact this whole 45 min conversation all happened in Spanish and it flowedà proof right there!

Graffiti is on point here

My days have been mainly full of language learning and studying since it’s been pretty hard making connections (besides the one really great talk mentioned above). Really the only deeper connection I’ve made is with my Spanish teacher who comes 4 times a week for a total of ten hours a week. Some evenings as I’m watching a tv show in Spanish “For learning” I laugh to myself at the fact that in grade school one of the biggest slams you could tell someone is that “their momma” paid people to be their friend… and right now I’m living that -except it’s not my “momma” paying someone to be my friend but me J ßLike I seriously laugh at this. Full circle folks, full circle!

My host missionaries the Pelegrina family 

But there is hope in the midst of loneliness. In a few weeks I’ll be moving on to Bogado where I will be living in a mission school and teaching English. Also I have a few prospects of people to meet up with this week which I am really praying adds up to something because honestly I hate studying and want to ignore it J  But once I leave Asuncion it will most likely be pretty busy for me which I am excited for.

And to end with a fun and awkward cultural experience…

Last week before my language class I had to go to the store and on my way back I stopped at a little fruit stand a few blocks from the German Mission. I struggled through a conversation where I got $10,000 Mil worth of oranges (that’s a little less than $2USD). But this made for quite a big bag of oranges and as I walked home I thought I would love to share some with my teacher and I wanted to share some with the Palomino Family that was visiting me that night. Then I thought if some of the people from the German mission were outside I could ask them if they wanted an orange.(you know trying to make friends here) Well one of the men was outside and as I was going inside I asked “Usted tienes una narajana?” as I held the bag open, He said “yes gracias” and grabbed ahold of the bag, he again said “yes gracias” and pulled on the bag, so I let go. He then walked away with my bag of oranges inspecting one as he went…. I was left standing there and saying “oh… okay…. Bye” and went inside orange less.  I still have no idea what I did/said wrong (though my teacher and the missionary family I’m working with said nothing in between laughing J) or why he took ALL of the oranges- but I hope that he (and whoever he shared them with) enjoyed them!



Please be praying:

-For the Palomino Family. As they start their studies and new life here in Asuncion. Be praying for this transition and for them while they follow God wherever he leads. I’m hoping when I am back in the capital in August I will have an opportunity to meet up with them again.

-For my fellow MA’ers in Ireland, Albania, Greece and Germany

- For the meetings I have this week. That connections can be formed and that I can

- For Luciano, Yamila, Linda, Jessica, Marcos, Grober, Milka, and Joselin who will be my English students next month. Each of them are currently preparing to go on the mission field to various countries. Be praying for their studies and for their future ministries.

- For me as I continue language learning over the next 2.5 weeks. It’s not a lot of time, before I move on to the next phase of this year. Be praying also for me as I prepare the lessons for the English class, I am not an English teacher… and I have no curriculum to go off of so… we will see.

- For the lonely parts- this year has been interesting to say the least.
 I came across a FB memory today of a quote I posted two years ago when I was on my year long journey in Europe. “Don’t stay in the boat when God is calling you to walk on water” I am encouraged by the fact when we are walking on the water we aren’t out there alone, but we are walking towards the one who gives us the power and strength to be there.


I am so grateful for you all and for your willingness to pray, encourage, and to walk with me.  

Comments

Popular Posts