“So they went away together…”


I really wish I knew what the disciples and Jesus spoke about when Jesus took them away to find rest after being sent out in Mark 6. I’m sure there were so many stories being thrown around that boat, stories about how God provided in miraculous ways when they had nothing but the clothes on their backs, stories about the people they met and the changes that happened along the way. I can just see the excitement that must have been overflowing from that boat, the energy being shared between them. I can’t help but wonder how Jesus reacts to all of this, is he sitting on the edge of his seat with eager anticipation of what is to come in the story, does he sit back and just enjoy watching the excitement between his Brothers as God’s majesty is being proclaimed amongst the stories? Does he share encouragements with them, words of wisdom from their experiences, or share with them what they can expect now that they are back together?
I love reading these verses and just the fact that he took them aside (even though they only had that short boat ride alone) But Jesus knew what they just experienced and the fact that they needed that short break to rest, to share, to be together.
To be honest I’m a little envious of the disciples here, this past year I have learned so much about who God is, the way he loves and provides for his church, and how faithful he truly is. Being back in America has been sort of surreal, life here picked up almost as soon as I stepped off the plane, but my heart is still very much back overseas with the people I’ve met and grown to love. I cannot tell you the number of nights I have had such vivid dreams of being back in some of the churches and cities I had worked in, living the life that although short seemed so natural. Only to wake up and realize it was a dream, is well, strange. Life here has really picked up where I left it, I am back working at the daycare I used to work at teaching the same kids I had before I left! I love being a teacher and getting to love on these kids all day.
Since being back, I’ve had a few opportunities to share a bit about what happened this past year. One of which was sharing with the local Jr. Highs culture club. I was invited to speak with them and even teach them how to make a special ethnic dish, Ukrainian Vareniki. The whole afternoon was so much fun, getting to answer questions and just share a bit about the reasons behind my trip and some of the crazy things that happened along the way. What’s even more exciting is that I was invited back, and tomorrow I will be spending the entire day at the school sharing with all of the world geography students about what happened!
 I’ve been home now for just under4 months, and although things have been VERY busy here, my vision and desire to follow God’s call on my life hasn’t changed. I’ve had many people asking me “What’s next” and to be honest, a lot! I have been talking with Kontaktmission and am in the midst of enrolling in their program, Mission Academy (a program that trains in church planting while giving you practical field experiences). The goal as of now is to support raise and be back in Germany for the start of classes in January. I am also very excited to be joining my church on a mission to Guatemala this September, It has been so great being back and getting to worship with my home church again. Getting to serve alongside them again gets me a little sentimental, especially with the awareness of the where God is leading me after.  There are many other little things going on in the midst of all of these big things but my goal throughout this transitional period as Amy Young put it so well in her book “Looming Transitions” is “Staying Rooted in Christ while being uprooted in this chapter of your story.” So even though at times things seem crazy and rushed, I’m good as long as I’m rooted in the one who sustains, provides, delivers, and so much more.
Please be praying:
·         For tomorrows talk with the Jr High students, pray that they ask questions that can get me talking about more than just the countries
·         For FCC’s upcoming trip to Guatemala. Things are still being planned and worked out, but prayer should definitely be in the bones of this trip.
·         For Mission Academy and all of the planning and details that go along with enrolling. It’s a big step but God is faithful and provides.
·         That I can make the most of my time back in Missouri, I never knew how much I actually loved this crazy state till I returned. Spending time with friends and family and just staying connected.

Thank you all again for sticking with me through this past year and just being so encouraging while abroad and back home!

Comments

Popular Posts