Bună Ziua!

The three and half weeks in Olanesti went by so quickly! Oh, how I enjoyed working with these people and this community. One thing I have quickly learned (and love) about Romanians, is that they are probably the most affectionate people I have ever worked with. They are all about the hugs, kisses, laughing, and just being close to another person.

Brother Ion with his work cart

Thanksgiving in Francesti


One of my jobs while here was to lead the children’s program that meets every Saturday and then also teach Sunday afternoons to the children in Francesti (the church plant about an hour from Olanesti). I love being around kids, just being silly with them, and watching their minds start to “get it”.  Although I was teaching well known bible stories, a lot of these children were hearing them for the first time. I was so incredibly humbled during these times, hearing their questions and talking through a few things with them. Seeing them think, and work through concepts, it really made me think about the missionary I worked with in Albania who talked about teaching beyond surface level, giving the children “meat” something that they can really work on and that they can grow. We also played a lot of games with the kids, getting them excited about learning scripture, and letting them be creative.

Testing the children's fishing skills

Cornilui really not wanting to loose any fish



Another thing that just made Olanesti so wonderful were the missionaries I was working with. Lumii, Irene, and Cornilui really just went out of their way to make me feel welcomed and like a vital part of their team. You don’t need to be around them for long to see their heart’s and love for the Lord and the people in this community. This region of Romania is the least reached and most obstinate area towards the Gospel, largely in part to the Orthodox Church. The Orthodox Church here labels churches as cults, and publicly curses and verbally persecutes the leaders and members of the church. If they find out (which they will) if someone has been attending the church, they will publicly shun them and take away their burial rights. If a person is baptized they will approach that new believer and offer them a ritual that will remove their baptism. Despite all of these obstacles (And more) the missionaries here are standing firm and going forward with the Gospel. Knowing that “The weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine powers to destroy strongholds.” 2 Corinthians 10:4 and even with this resistance, members still meet and the word is still proclaimed!

The team took me to Sibui for a ministry conference and to sight see a bit, they even bought me a Gogosi.




I’m really behind on posting my blogs, since I have now been In Micesti Romania for 2.5 weeks working with an afterschool program in a Gypsy village. I hope to post another blog at the end of this week, as I wrap up my time here in Romania. This has been a crazy year, so much has happened and God has been so faithful through it all… it’s really hard for me to believe that I’m entering the home stretch and in less than two months I will be back on American Soil! I am so very thankful that God’s not finished with any of us yet, that he continues to move us, to grow us, to ruin us in the best possible way. 


Liars bridge, we have no idea why it is called that but had a good time coming up with our own theories.
Please Pray:
- For the missionaries in this region, that they continue to stand firm and are encouraged despite the difficulties. 
-Pray for the children's programs. That they continue to give the children "meat" showing them the truth and pray that the children continue to ask questions and to have the desire to dig deeper
-Pray for the church plant in Francesti. I was able to celebrate their one year anniversary while I was there. Pray that they continue to grow and that the community states taking leadership within the church
-Pray for Bethel in Olanesti. The Church I was working in, pray for the members to stay encouraged and to continue to seek Christ 
- Pray for my last week here in Micesti working with the Gypsy kids. Pray that I can love the way Jesus loves and that I finish my time here in Romania strong. 
-Pray for this Thursday, I'm planning on making a big Thanksgiving dinner for all of the workers here. I'm excited to share this celebration with this part of the family, 

Thank you all for your continued prayers, support, and encouragements! 

Comments

Popular Posts