Whirlwinds

This has been a crazy whirlwind of a month, being in 5 different countries within two weeks! I left Lviv Ukraine on September 15th getting into a bus full of men heading to Krakow Poland. We didn’t even make it out of the city limits before the Vodka was busted out and the men were toasting to this and that. At the border the vodka was hidden but the passports came out and that’s when they noticed the only girl was American. So for the next 6 ½ hours I was referred to as “America” and once the border control was gone the toasting was now to America which would cause the drunken men to break into broken English songs as we coasted down the highway. (I must say their rendition of Roxanne was impressive) Finally after an almost 10 hour trip I arrived to Graceland ministries in Krakow Poland where I spent the next 7 days. Jay and Collette moved to Poland from Canada over 17 years ago to share the Gospel by teaching English. Upon arriving though they found that all curriculum was aimed for advanced students not towards beginners. So together they devised a teaching curriculum that meets students where they are in English and the students eventually work their way up to reading and discussing The Bible. Graceland also offers a coffee shop and a hangout area for their students before classes, Briana, a 26 year old from the US, joined the team 5 years ago and serves as teacher and barista. The women have also started Sequoia, a home church that meets every other Friday night at Jay and Collette’s house. During my stay in Krakow I was able to help out a bit with some of the classes, and was able to meet some wonderful people who attend their classes and hear about their lives. After the classes the ladies all got together at Jay and Collette’s home and kind of had a debriefing from the day and just fellowship and encourage each other. It was really wonderful getting to meet these ladies and be a small part of their team. Seeing their passion and excitement for their work and hearing about how Sequoia was changing because the members were wanting to add more to their time together was very encouraging. 7 days was really not long enough to be a part of this ministry but I had people expected me down the way so I had to leave. 

                   













After leaving Krakow I took a bus through the Tatra Mountains in Slovakia on my way to Budapest Hungary. Driving through Slovakia I was just astounded by its beauty, the forest Covered mountains, light fog resting over cold black rivers, Castles in the distance… there were a few places I saw that the 90’s girl in me came out and had to say “Shut up!” because it was just that beautiful. (It’s okay if you judge me… I judged myself a little)  I was excited when it worked out in my schedule to go back to Slovakia for half a day with Claire and explore Bratislava the capital, and see more of this beautiful country’s charm.





I made it to Budapest on the 22nd and Met Claire, a 26 year old missionary working with a Christian library ministry in Budapest. Hanging out with Claire was like hanging out with some of my old college dorm-mates, it was so easy and just great to be around her. She showed me around her city, all of her favorite places, and her love and excitement for this place really rubbed off as she told me some history and showed the beauty of the place through her eyes. I was able to tour the library that she works at and hear how this ministry is providing for the people in the area. You can see the library at Christian-library.org -it really is worth checking out.



After a bit of bus confusion (no vodka this time) I made my way to Hodmezovasarhley Hungary where I stayed with Jürgen and his wife Anna and their three children. Different churches in Szeged (the bigger city by Hodmezovasarhley) came together to put on the first “Christian Festival” the city has ever had. There were lots of different booths, some with Christian books, some with local crafts and produce, and then some tents with different programs and teachings. My first day there I went with Jurgen to Szeged and assisted a group of all men with putting up a giant circus type tent for one of the programs. Being the only girl there and not knowing the language was quite entertaining seeing the guys not knowing what to do with me as I jumped in to help pulling ropes and trying to throw them over this giant awning. Eventually the tent was up and the guys were off the hook, they no longer had to try to talk to the American girl. 

For the Festival the big drawl in was all the different concerts they had going on during the weekend. They had local bands and worship groups playing throughout the day and then on Saturday afternoon they had Hillsong United London come and lead a large worship service. (Hillsong United has always been a concert/ worship service I’ve wanted to attend, but never thought that would happen in Szeged Hungary!)  Sunday afternoon they had more bands and ended the festival with A Gospel sing that Anna and their oldest daughter Tabitha were a part of. The whole event was great! They had about 12,000 people come out during the weekend and even though it was chilly and rainy, people were excited to be at such an event and I’m told are still talking about it.



I got on a train for Romania on the 30th heading towards Timisoara, though not knowing for sure which stop was Timisoara since they don’t announce stops on the train or post signs at the train station. It wasn’t till my train was leaving the station before someone confirmed that I did get off at the right stop and I was in fact in Timisoara. For two and a half weeks I was living/working in a girls home called Manna, as the cook.  Being at Manna was like being apart of a giant family, With the Remus and Andrea the missionary family and myself, there were 12 girls and 2 boys living in the home and always more people either coming for bible studies, to tutor the girls, or to help work on the remodeling to meet all of the countries requirements. I loved my time at Manna and getting to know each of girls in the home, playing games, teaching them the Macarena, and just laughing a lot. 



There is so much more I would love to say about my time with the girls but due to legal reasons I’m not allowed to go into details on the internet, but I can tell you about the proposal (as I have promised a few of you) A few days into my stay there the missionaries son broke his arm, and since I was already in the city I went with them to the hospital to get his x-rays and cast. As I was sitting in the waiting room with Remus a Gypsy family came in and an older man started to talk with me in Romanian. I had to tell him I only knew English, which sparked his interest, He sat down next to me and told me he was “Italiano” and I told him I was American. We struggled through a semi casual conversation and Remus had to go out and get something, Andrea came in to see how I was doing around the point that the “Italiano” man was asking me my age. I told him 28 which Andrea translated for him and he told her that I looked much younger (that’s a good response) then Andrea left to go back to her son. I was alone with the “Italiano” and an elderly couple from his family. He tried to tell me how old he was by pulling out his ID which was Romanian not Italian. Then he used his right hand to go around his left ring finger making a ring sign and pointing at me smiling asking if I was married. I laughed telling him no, then he made the ring sign again then pointed at himself three times then at me three times before making the ring symbol again. Saying “Italiano, Americano” then the ring symbol again. The older couple busted up laughing I couldn’t stop laughing which only encouraged him more, after about 5 mins he thought he would try and see if I changed my mind and asked me again saying “Italiano, Americano” pointing and making the ring symbol. Shortly after Remus came back and told me it was time to leave so I said goodbye to the man that never even told me his name. Later that night when I was telling the story to the girls at the home the youngest one was really sad that I told the Gypsy man no, and throughout the rest of my time there asked me repeatedly why I said no and am not getting married, And another girl tried to tell me that he must have really loved me to just ask me when we had only met… I had to explain that learning my nationality does not equal love J all in all though its hilarious and makes for a great story!

I arrived in Olanesti Thursday evening and I feel like so much has happened in just the 3.5 days that I’ve been here, but I’ll save that for my next blog since this one is already so long. I have past the 10 month mark on my trip and God continues to amaze me with his faithfulness, the way he is moving in these countries, and the way he continually pushes, molds, and teaches us along the way. I’ve been a little homesick this past month, with moving around so much and constantly starting over. The funny thing though is I’m not only homesick for my family and friends in America, but for my friends and families in all of the places I’ve been. I get a message from my Albanian mom and I’m so happy to hear from her but also want to cry because it’s been 8 months since I’ve seen her last and I’m not sure when I will see her again. I see on Facebook how the ministries I have been a part of are doing and see the faces of the people I have grown to love all gathered together and I long to be with those families again. Even in the places that I only spent a few days, I think of those churches defying the odds, coming together in homes for the purpose of discipleship and their excitement for the Gospel; and I wish that I could worship with them again, pray with them again, and seek the Lord with them again.
1 Thessalonians 4:17 “Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, so that we will always be with the Lord.”
Looking forward to the day when we all of the family is together at home.

Please be praying for:

-          The work at Graceland Ministries, the school year started the day I got there so things are still busy for the ladies there. Pray for strength for the ladies, for the students coming, and that the love of Christ is shown.
-          Pray for Graceland Ministries need of a children’s teacher- they have an ever-growing list of children who desperately want a spot in the English class, but they have no teacher to teach them- and they won’t start a class they can’t go the distance with. Pray that God rises someone up to meet this need.
-          Claire and the Budapest Christian Library. This library is a great place that church leaders can come and study. The library has also just decided to expand their selection to include a secular section to draw in non-Christian’s and share with them Christ’s love and to give them a safe place to sit down and read. The library survives on donations and with the decision to expand upon this library means that they will be needing more books. If you feel like donating a book or two they have a few options on line of good places to buy the books from that ship directly to their library. You could also contact me and I can connect you with Claire!
-          Be praying for the Szeged community that heard the word during the festival. Pray that those who made a decision will connect with local churches and move forward with their walk with Christ. Be praying for the church leaders and churches that they can ready themselves for what God is doing in this city.
-          Pray for Jürgen and his family; right now Jürgen is a leader at a small church here in Hodmezovasarhley and Anna runs a clothing pantry for those in the community that are in need of clothing. Pray for continued encouragement and guidance as they follow Gods will for their lives.
-          Pray for the small church here in Hodmezovasarhley. It was such a joy to be able to share with them and just be in community with them during my short time here. Pray for continued encouragement for this community.
-          Pray for Manna the girls home. There are a lot of renovations that are needing to be done on the building in order for the home to stay open. Be praying that the funds for these mandatory renovations come in and that they are able to find workers that can perform the tasks.
-          Pray for Remus and Andrea the missionaries at Manna- pray that they continue to be a light for the girls in the home, and that they continue to seek the Lord when things are overwhelming and stressful.
-          Pray for a cook for Manna- their previous cook quite shortly before I arrived and there is simply too much work for Andrea to do everything. Pray that someone who is qualified and dependable steps up and fills this much needed role in this ministry.
-          Pray for the church plants in Olanesti and the surrounding village- this area is one of the hardest reached areas for the Gospel in Europe. Pray for the ministers here, that they are encouraged and strengthened, pray for the church members who receive social persecution for being associated with the church.
-          Pray for my time here in Olanesti- that I follow the spirits leading and that I see what He has prepared for me here. Pray that I continue to seek strength and wisdom from our Lord and that when things are hard or I feel insecure that I let God be the one who defines who I am and not the doubt and negativity of my inner being.


Thank you all for your prayers and your support, I am truly blessed to have so many behind me on this journey. 

Comments

Popular Posts