Ukrainian Reflections

Ukraine… man has it been real.
My first ever ICOM (it was just the national missionary conference then) experience I met an awesome missionary Janice Lemke who served in Ukraine. I had gotten her book “Five Loaves and Two Bowls of Borscht” (good read, you should check it out) after reading this book I had a desire to go to Ukraine and see this country for myself. Only being here for two months I wasn’t really sure what to expect. These two months have been full of frustration, confusion, loneliness, inaptitude, and joys beyond compare. Lemke had written in her book “Serving Him is hard, but it gives purpose to life.” This statement is very true for my time here in Ukraine.
My original plan for this trip didn’t include Ukraine, in fact Ukraine was just a thought thrown in late November during one of my trainings. I am so thankful though that God lead me here to work with these people. A few weeks ago I was a part of the Gainer’s English camp. English Camp was amazing, very fast paced high energy, full of children many whom had no desire to hear the gospel, yet at this camp started asking some real, very good questions. One boy in particular was asking a lot of questions, he was in my English class (the advanced group, since I know very little Russian to help them understand the meaning of the English words) the first day he made it known that he was Atheist. This boy is probably one of the most intelligent people I know… he spent hours explaining how business trade works, and the roles of different diplomats, to me. As the week went on he started asking lots of questions about what we believe and why we believe the things that we believe, and on multiply occasions he mentioned that he wasn’t sure what he believes and that he is very interested in religion and what we call a relationship with God. It was really encouraging to watch the change that was taking place in him, now let me assure you I am not disillusioned to think that now he is a believer or even pursuing it now back at home. But I know the seed has been planted and I know what our God can do with seeds. I actually had an opportunity to hang out with him in the center yesterday. We got coffee and spent almost three hours talking about basically everything (he's a very fast talker).
After English Camp I was able to visit a kontaktmissionary family in a village outside of Kharkov. This was a great week of fellowship, learning to make borscht, and blini and getting to see what village life is like in Ukraine. One day I was invited to visit Lesha’s grandmother’s house, where his mom and aunt told me the story of their family and the way they kept their faith even to the point of imprisonment and torture during the USSR period. They told me how during that time they could somehow hear Christian radio and as a family would write down the lyrics to hymns and notes from sermons and as they traveled from the village to the city their entire family would sing hymns as their father would share the gospel. Hearing these stories from the family members and the way that after their father was imprisoned he didn’t come back bitter but with a desire to preach the gospel to everyone he encountered was inspiring.
I am now back in Kremenchuk until Thursday then I will make the journey to western Ukraine and visit another Kontmission family in Lvov. This journey is going to be interesting taking that it’s completely solo with a few transfers and I don’t know the language and few speak English here. I believe I am supposed to be leaving for Romania on the 1st of September, but that also isn’t fully planned, So I guess it’s going to be an adventure… just me, God, and all of my luggage.
Please be praying
For all the students that went to English camp, we asked some serious questions during that week, questions that really make you think. Pray that these students think of these questions and what those answers mean for their lives.
Pray for Denise and his continued pursuit of what he believes, pray that he continues to ask his questions and that God places in his life someone who can help him understand God’s crazy love for him.
Pray for Amy and Lesha in Kharkov and the ministry and vision they feel called to do in their village. Also pray for Lesha’s family as they travel back to Belarus sometime this week and for Lesha as he travels to Kiev on the 24th to start another course at seminary.
Pray for my travels and for the planning of my trip. I really do think it’s going to be a miracle if I make it to the train station and to Lvov with no issues. Pray that plans can be finalized for the next step in this journey.
Pray for my time in Romania, that my heart and the heart of the people I will be working with will be prepared. Pray that I see what God is laying before me and that I rise to the challenge of following him and serving him wherever he may lead.

Thank you for all of your prayers and all of your support throughout this year! Know that I am praying for you all at home and for the friends I’ve made along the way J
English Camp we wanted to give the "American" experience, which of course includes baseball, 

and a loose form of hockey

my small group the blue team!

Alyona was my small group leader partner and valva was the kitchen crew muscles! Both have been a true blessing while I've been in Kremenchuk.

you can't have an American camp experience without smores :)


my roomie at camp Alisa. Though there was a big language barrier that didn't stop us from becoming fast friends. 


The smores were a huge hit 

Lesha, Amy, Eliana, and Johan 
I love this family and their openness to include me as one of their own! 

Comments

Popular Posts