Hallo Duisburg

April 1st I made my way from the conference in Wustenrot to Duisburg Germany. Duisburg is a metropolitan borough within Dusseldorf and is home to the world's largest inland port, and one of Europe's largest steel production cities. I find Duisburg to be a very beautiful city (even though some of the locals laugh at me when I say that) especially in the spring with all the flowers in bloom and the lack of tornado's. (For those of you unaware... where I am from in southwest Missouri, April and May is scary storm/tornado season and I am not a fan) Overall Duisburg is a city full of rich history and industrial charm.

My time thus far in Duisburg has been mainly building relationships and working with Silvia (the church leader) and thinking of ways to do outreach in the Beeck- Meiderich area of Duisburg. The church I am working with (FEG Duisburg-Beeck) is in a transitional phase where they are deciding where the vision and outreach of the church should be in their community. The past two weeks a few of us have done prayer walks through different parts of the communities, taking time to be quiet with the Lord and seeing the different types of people in the area and the immediate needs we see within the people. 

 

-What we've found- 
This area has a growing international population. A prominent Turkish and Muslim community, immigrants from various countries, and also a refugee home that is just down the road from the church. 
There is also a large number of single family households and  elderly. Parents who have raised their children in Beeck remain here whereas their children move on to different parts of Duisburg or to a new city all together. Beeck especially is developing a reputation for an area of Duisburg that is lower income and less desirable among families and businesses. 


-The Need-
All of these different groups leave so many opportunities for ministry and outreach within the church.  From watching the people interacting on our walks I noted the need just for community, especially with the older generation. They seemed to go down to the Meiderich city center just to be close to people and walk the streets. Within the international groups we saw that many can't speak German and that having a program that helped teach the refugees and the Turkish people could become a huge outreach in the area. The biggest need that we saw, however, is the need for Jesus. Jesus the place that you can find true community and unending love, a place where you can rest and find safety, a place where you find life. 
Psalm 18:2 "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." 



-Prayer Requests-
April 29th the church will be having a meeting to figure out what area their focus will be on and what their vision as a church will be for the community. 
  • Please pray for this meeting, that we are led by the Spirit to the areas he is preparing for us. 
  • Please pray for the community as a whole, the need is great here and finding ways to connect with people on a personal level is much more difficult in the different cultural settings. 
  • Please pray for the Korean Church that is apart of the FEG Duisburg- Beeck church. It is just starting up and although there aren't any members yet the need is still there. 

May 4th I will be leading a prayer night for the church, we will be praying over the community and over different ways to reach the people of the community
  • Please pray for me as I plan this event, that I follow the Spirits leading
  • Please pray for the church members that come to this event, that they are open and see the importance of covering their new vision in prayer. 

  • Please continue to pray for the church and ministries in Korca Albania. I am told that the Easter dinner the church in Mborja planned was a big success and that they are hopeful that some of the families might be joining the church! 


Thank you all for your continued prayer and support, you all mean so much to me and my ministry! 






I'll leave you with this little gem- it's called the lifesaver brunnen- it sits in the middle of the city center, the eagle (which is on the cities flag) is rescuing the women... this giant colorful party rotates 360 and squirts water from it's wings :) 
it's pretty funny from the back too! 

Comments

Popular Posts