Greetings from Thessaloniki

First off I want to thank everyone for praying for safe travels for me and for the ministries I am working with, your prayers are a huge encouragement and greatly appreciated! I got into Greece Wednesday around 5:30pm this time which is 9:30am back in Carthage. Right from the first day it has been busy, Timotheos the KontaktMission church planting missionary in Thessaloniki took me on a 7 1/2 hour walk down the middle of the city to see the ruins... It was like walking with an OCC professor as a tour guide. It was GREAT and full of rich History! On our walk it was amazing how many divine appointments we had. Timotheos stopped at one very old Greek Orthodox church that had been called "Christ our Salvation" for hundreds of years. Its beautiful mosaic's and art work had been saved during the Turkish rule. This church had been renamed to "St David" - the saint that spent time in a tree- because a vision of St David had came to a few families who were homeless and living in the church yard and St David promised them new homes if they renamed the church after him instead of after Christ.  Inside this old church there is a beautiful mosaic of Christ sitting upon the rainbow of Promise holding a scroll of Isaiah with the 4 Gospels in each corner. This mosaic shouts out that Christ is our salvation, and the people see this everyday yet pray to St David to help them, to deliver them from burdens, and push Christ to the side. As Timotheos was speaking with me about the history of this place he shared his desire for his people in Greece. He prays for the day when the people no longer push Jesus to the side being overshadowed by the Saints and Mary, but longs for the day when they see that Christ is our Salvation and it is through him alone that we are saved. He also prays that one day this church will be reclaimed as Christ our Salvation. 
Almost immediately after speaking his dream for Greece to me (in English) the lady who had opened the church for us started pouring out her problems within the church. This led to a 40 minute conversation of bringing Christ to the front of our lives!  (of course I had no clue what was going on since it was all in Greek, but i knew it seemed important) 
I've been able to meet some very wonderful people in the short amount of time I have been here. I have been able to stay with a wonderful couple who are from New Jersey who run a food pantry and clothing donation center. They have taken me in and shared their lives with me and have truly been a blessing. I have met another lady who actually lived in Missouri for a period of time and when she  heard where I was from she started crying, hugging and kissing me saying "YES, Precious moments! my home! my home!". I've been able to talk with youth about my story then talk about all the latest video games (John and Heather you are my only reference for gaming but they approve) I have met the sweetest Gyspy lady named Maria, who has given me countless hugs and calls me sister. 
It's hard to believe that its only been 5 days, so much has happened and relationships have formed so quickly. Greece has been a true blessing to me as I start my year long journey. It's sad leaving so soon, I am really excited for my next Journey, Korce Albania. I will travel out tomorrow morning at 11:30 am by bus to the Greece Albania border where I will meet one of the missionaries that will take me into Korce. I will be in Korce till the end of March.
-Please pray for the ministry here in Greece. That Christ will be brought to the front and no longer pushed aside. 
-Please pray for the food bank and clothing ministry my host family runs. Its a bit of a discouraging time for them
Albania prayer needs
-Please pray for my travels into Korce, that I see opportunities to show Christ's love to these people. 
- Please pray for spiritual growth of the church I'll be a part of: Jesus Christ for the Balkans Church
- Please pray for the children's ministry in the village of Mborje
- Please pray for the funding for and expansion of the church's food program for the poor
- Please pray for the provision through the cold months for a country struggling economically
Thank you again for praying for me on this Journey :)
In Christ 
Tasha 

Comments

Popular Posts